Old 01-03-2013, 05:46 AM
craftiladi

Originally Posted by dsb38327 View Post
My Brother EX660 'froze up'. The wheel wouldn't turn at all. My husband took it apart, oiled and cleaned it and it worked fine. I have since moved on to a Brother SQ9000. I am in the middle of my second quilt with it and it 'froze up'. I recognized the sound before it happened (remembering the same sound when it happened to the EX660) so I slowed my stitching to a crawl. I saw it stop. The wheel wouldn't turn. Husband wasn't home so I thought it through, what can I do to get back in business. I remembered him oiling the needle holder rod when he did the EX660.
Out comes the oil can. I removed the needle, flipped the machine upside down. Dripped oil onto the rod and let the oil slide into the machine (down the rod). In a minute or so I tried to turn the wheel. It was loose as a goose. No problem. So I have added this step to my routine (every now and then).
Disclaimer: I am not telling you to do it. I am telling you it worked for me.
This message is old but I wanted to say thanks as the same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. Now its not like I don't have other machines to use but we want what we want and at that time I wanted that machine to finish up the project I was on. I took the whole machine apart and of course found fuzzies where I didn't even realize they could go, cleaned it all up, oiled where I thought I should and got it all put back together and still didn't sound right, then I remembered your tip and it worked, so huge thank-you.