View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 05:56 AM
Scraplady

I did this one for my DD's wedding last August. Just finished and gave to them at Christmas. Very simple to piece. Having done this three times now, I thought I'd share a couple of tips. Iron your signature block fabric onto freezer paper, then cut the pieces generously oversized. Small pieces can be hard to work with. Draw a line with a washout pen that is at least 1/4" inside the eventual seam line. No matter how many times you tell people, somebody ALWAYS writes beyond the margin. This is one time when they really need to stay inside the lines. You may need to remind folks to write on the FABRIC side, NOT the paper side. Also, people are sometimes intimidated by writing on the fabric, I guess they're scared they're going to mess the quilt up, so provide plenty of extra pieces in case they feel the need to start over. You do wind up wasting some fabric this way, but it's well worth it. (There is a block in the quilt pictured that was supposed to be a "mess-up" but the groom's brother didn't throw the piece away, just left it lying on the table with all the other signed pieces. It looked okay to me so I included it in the quilt. I have since been informed of my error. Oh well, it's permanent now!)

Don't know what others may have to say, but I have used Sharpie ultra-fine point pens for mine. I've never yet had a problem and my DD's graduation quilt from 4 years ago is still going strong. She uses/washes it frequently. We'll see if the colors stand the test of time. If you use colors, do avoid the reds, they run (don't ask...) and the yellow and gold tend to fade. I always wash the quilt with Retayne or a dye-grabber sheet a couple of times.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]385546[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]385547[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails aanddsig.jpg   aanddsigblock.jpg