View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 06:38 AM
J Miller

Miriam,

The bottom of the treadle we parted out was complete and all four of the wheels rolled I think. They were all there at least.
Oh, and I wanted to see that Kenmore monogramming machine too.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I've got all four of the machines we brought back checked out and diagnosed for any parts or repairs needed. Only two of the four needed parts and those were / minor.

Initial report on these machines:

SEWMOR 404:
>Dirty and grungy inside, but not as bad as the Singer 127 I've been working on. Miriam had a "to do" note on it about cleaning and checking the top and bottom tension and the cords, so that got done.
>I had to clean some lint and crud out of the bobbin area to get the oil where it was needed.
This machine looked like it had oil on it, but was dry where it counted.
>The screw head on the little screw that holds the slide plate spring in is broken, another piece for the next Sew-Classic order.
>I put a light on it, an old singer fish eye light. Found there was already a screw for it under the rear inspection plate. I might order in a new one from Sew-Classic and try to paint it to match.
>Checked the motor cord, it's OK.
>Put in a new top spool pin.
>Oiled it top and bottom and threaded it up.
>Test sewed: Sews very nice even stitches. I didn't do anything to the top tension, so when I take it apart to really clean it, I hope it works as good when I get it back together.

I'm seriously considering ordering a spoked hand wheel and putting it in a treadle. I think it would make a dandy treadle machine. When I get a chance I'll stick it in one of my treadles and see how it works.

SEWMORE 606:
>Oiled that one a bit, it didn't really need much at all.
>Checked the belt and cords, they are OK.
>Threaded it up and that's where I ran into problems. I couldn't get it to sew properly by threading it in the way it looks like it should go. Elaine rethreaded it differently, skipping the hook on the tension body and it works fine. There's something about the thread check spring / hook relation ship that's not right. I'll get back to that one in due time.
>Test sew: With it threaded like it should be the machine made about 2" worth of too tight stitches then broke the top thread. After Elaine rethreaded it the other way, it sews really nice stitches.

Once we get the bugs out of it, it will be a really good machine.
I need an owners manual for it. Relics has a reprinted one for $17.00 but I'm looking for a freebee.

KENMORE from GW.

This is one nice machine.
>I pulled the top off and it's CLEAN inside. Tilted the head back and it's clean underneath. One of the cleanest machines I've seen to date. That's almost scary.
>Oiled and greased everything. There is two what look to be fiber gears in it so those and all the steel gears got Tri-Flow grease.
>Ran it for about 5 minutes and just suddenly the machine quieted down and started running quieter as the Tri-Flow oil reached the needed places.
>Test sewed with it. Nice, nice, nice. The SS and ZZ are really consistent.
>Took it to our LSMG for cams, he didn't have any of that style. Found some on eBay, but our user name and password wont work any more.
>Put two nice new read spool pin felts on it.

BLUE DRESSMAKER HA-1 / 15 CLONE from GW:
Nice little machine. Caroline, I'll get pics up today sometime.
>Replaced the petrified belt (an old fabric type belt) with a used one I've had on about three other machines so far. Will have to get some from Sew-Classic next order, the LSMG is out of that size.
>Oiled everything. It was dry inside also.
>Found out the thread check spring on the top tension is broken so I'll have to order another one from Sew-Classic before I can test sew with this machine.
>It runs nice, feeds the fabric nice, and with a new needle makes nice straight lines of holes.
>I have a light I'm going to put on it. An old metal one that was originally on my 66 Treadle #2.
Although I might get a new one from S-C and paint it to match too.

Well, yesterday was a long day of tinkering with the machines. Now I've got to find somewhere to put them so I can have room to walk through the house without stubbing my toes.

Some of the machines will stay in my collection, others may get re-homed after I'm through "experiencing" them.

Joe