Old 01-03-2013, 09:55 AM
CarolynMT

Originally Posted by Threads 77 View Post
I am new to the embridery machines but love some of the quilt blocks a person can embroidery. What I have been wondering is: does a person emb. the blocks and then put it all tgether or does a person put the pieces all together and then embroidery as part of the quilting process? I am not crazy about the" quilt as you go" method so want another way. Love to hear what all you have to say. Mary M
I have also embroidered the quilting on a quilt.....basically I pieced the quilt, batted, backed it, then before I bound the quilt I embroidered stars in the columns (it was a red/white/blue quilt) Basically, I hooped some tacky stabilizer, then laid the quilt on top, held it in place while it stitched, then moved it and repeated. It was a very long and tedious process, but it works. As someone else noted, you MUST use very open stitching, not the dense designs.

I have also embroidered blocks, then pieced, batted/backed, then stitched in the ditch (did a baby quilt like this) and it works well too, you can use denser embroideries. Mine was an applique monster trucks with minky wheels. Was adorable, but will caution, your blocks need to be small, if you are not quilting on them after the fact, due to batting requiring 4-10ins between quilting (depending on batting type).

I have 2 brother machines, the embroidery/sewing combo and a little one for piecing/classes. I have had no major issues with them. My mother uses babylock machines, they were a little too pricey for me. I would recommend if you are planning on getting one, take classes at your local dealer, they are invaluable to learning all the ins/outs of a machine

Last edited by CarolynMT; 01-03-2013 at 09:57 AM. Reason: left out stuff