View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 02:32 PM
katykwilt

Originally Posted by sampson001 View Post
I am just curious, have often seen recipes for pumpkin pie, but do you always use tin pumpkin?
I make my own pumpkin simply because it's much cheaper. Pie pumpkins can be used if you have them, but any pumpkin will work. I cut them in half if they're large and if they are large, remove the seeds at the same time. If they are small, just poke some vent holes in them then put them on a baking sheet (glass ovenware is good, or use the non-stick aluminum foil to prevent a lot of clean up). Bake about 350. When you can insert a knife or fork through the skin easily, remove from the oven and cool. Peel the skin off, put chunks in the blender and blend until smooth. To make the pumpkin closer to the thick canned stuff, I put it in a collander lined with a couple paper towels to drain. It's then ready to use or to freeze. If you put them into Ziploc baggies and squeeze the air bubbles out, this will last a good year.

In our house, jack-o'-lanterns are painted, then I use that pumpkin for pies, quickbreads and cookies. Now for spices, don't be afraid to use what you like -- basically a blend of cinnamon (more of this), ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. My family doesn't care much for cloves, so I cut back on that. Try this: 2-3 teaspones of cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. of the ginger and nutmeg and 1/4 of cloves. Adjust to your tastes.

Now, if you don't have pumpkin, use squash, even sweet potatoes. With all the other yummy ingredients, it will taste good no matter what!