Thread: quilt pricing
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 03:16 PM
quiltingsavta

I repaired a quilt for a friend's neighbor so I had no real connection to the women. The quilt was in terrible condition and to top it off it was a store bought quilt but over the years gone torn up, etc. She loved the quilt and wanted it fixed. She had all the materials except the batting. I told her $150. She looked at me like I had 2 heads. I said to her, I can see you are not comfortabel with that so I won't waste anymore of your time. She responded and said she just didn't think it would be so much. So I said to her, well let me ask you this....I began to tell her all I had to do, take out the bad parts, take off the backing, make the new squares, sew them on the top, layer and tie it (it was origionally tied so I kept it that way). I figured my time would be approximately 30 hours. So I said to her...you're a professional women, what do you make an hour? She looked at me and said, OK I see your point. The quilt came out better than I had expected and when I dropped it off she even gave me an extra $10. Friends or no friends, acquaintances, family doesn't matter sometimes, your time is your time, so charge what you feel you are comfortable with and stick to it.