Old 01-04-2013, 03:26 PM
dart1

I was born in Texas, my younger sister was born in D.C., two oldest brothers and two youngest brothers all born in West Virginia. We grew up in WV (am still here), and I'm sure we were categorized as poor white trash since we had nothing. I have been a legal secretary for many years (to a WONDERFUL older gentleman most of that time) and have dealt with both rich and poor, and for the most part, I love the less fortunate clients - what wonderful people! Also, my husband likes to travel, so I have seen at least parts of most of our states. It used to amaze me when I would see rundown areas, shanties, underprivileged areas, whatever you want to call them, in other states. BUT I now know that each and every state has those areas. So, could it be that the real ignorance portrayed in some television shows is that of the producers who think they are coming DOWN to our level, not the subjects they are portraying? No, I won't watch the show mentioned above (I watch very little television, but when I do watch a show, I want to be entertained, not "dumbed down.") (That might be hillbilly terminology!). I can say very emphatically, thankfully and prayerfully, that I am sooo blessed to live in beautiful West Virginia.