View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 01:40 AM
CindyA

My neighbor used to be a one woman machine rescue organization! She shopped local thrift stores, often bringing machines home with no idea if they worked or not. She would clean them up and do minor repairs. I bought 2 from her and they work great. So, I agree with the above post: take some thread and fabric and test a machine out in the thrift store. One of the machines I bought from her is a featherweight that's in great shape. I'm sure she had to pay a whole lot more than $35, though. But the other machine is a Kenmore 301 (I think that's correct). That one cost her less than $50 and it's a workhorse, I tell you!

What I would NOT do is buy the most inexpensive new machine you can find. My friend bought something from Wal-Mart and I could not help her get that thing threaded with correct tension to save my life. It was an excercise in frustration. We never got it to sew without huge tangles of thread, and it's now sitting in the closet collecting dust. I'd rather have an oldie but goodie any day.

Good luck! Let us know what you find.

Last edited by CindyA; 01-05-2013 at 01:43 AM.