Old 01-06-2013, 05:58 AM
Jean S

Default My Italian Greyhound's attraction to batting

Molly is 10 years old and still looks and acts like a puppy, especially when it comes to batting.

I remember the first time she destroyed a roll of batting. It looked like a bomb went off in my sewing room. And what's worse is that I was right there when it happened. My back was turned while appliquéing. She silently and happily used her pointy little nose to pull, pluck, and pick apart my bundle of batting with such speed, I think she was rushing through it to get it destroyed before I caught her! I was stunned when I turned and saw my precious little Molly in the middle of a huge mess of destroyed batting.

Did I learn my lesson? Never EVER leave batting unattended and in reach of Molly? Haha, for the most part, yes! But there was the time I left the closet door open and some scrap batting was on a shelf I thought was high enough she wouldn't get it. Yeah, totally my bad.

And the time I came home exhausted after a full day at International Quilt Festival. I walked in the house and dumped my arm loads of shopping bags filled with festival shopping. One huge bag laying on the floor had a bag of batting. So this batting is like double bagged and I think it is well hidden and safe because the outer bag is a heavier white plastic. I underestimated the powers of flirtatious batting and Molly's weakness for it. From the look of it, the two had a great time together.

Currently, I'm working on a small piece to refine my hand quilting. The edges have exposed batting. Molly looks so innocent and sweet as she cuddles next to me while I sew. But I know that if I leave this project alone with her for one nanosecond, I will regret it!