View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 06:21 AM
sandrab64

Default Simplest requests can turn nightmarish!

My MIL painted her bedroom a green color and got a new bedspread/sham/curtains, etc to go with it. This is a woman who has had white walls in every room in every house for 75 years so a painted bedroom is a HUGE deal! She asked that I make a wall hanging to go above the bed--approx 2'x 4' horizontal. Her only request?--lots of 'cream'. Obviously she's not comfortable yet with the dark wall color. I've attached a picture of the 3 colors from the comforter set. I've spent hours and hours trying to come up with a pattern and have literally lost sleep. I think I'm 'over-thinking' it. She wants to keep it simplistic so you'd think this would be a slam-dunk right?--WRONG! Too many options out there and I want to do a good job with it. Finding colors to go with it is proving difficult. After throwing around hundreds of design ideas and sketching I think I'd like to go with 3 cream background snowblocks (horizontally) with some sort of border(s). Would like to applique a 'bird on a branch' in the left and right blocks and perhaps a stemmed flower applique in the middle block since she loves birds and flowers. This would then show a lot of the cream color background.

I'm rambling but just trying to get a handle on it. Anyone else agonize over designs that you have to create? I've also searched for patterns but nothing trips my trigger. Found the Spring Woodland Stonehenge) fabric collection (or Autumn Woodland Stonehenge) and feel some of the simpler patterns in this may work to bring out some colors. Anyways, feel free to offer options/opinions if you'd like regarding colors and border design, etc, to help this gal get some sleep! Thanks and Happy New Year!
Attached Thumbnails img_3899.jpg  

Last edited by sandrab64; 01-06-2013 at 06:32 AM.