View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 08:06 AM
quiltsRfun

Originally Posted by CraftyPerson View Post
I am 13 and I don't make a lot of money. Haha. I could maybe get some books if I come upon some extra cash now and again. . . I was going to ask for a sewing machine for my birthday in April. Is it bad for a beginner to machine quilt? Any sewing machine recommendations?
When I started quilting I also had limited funds. I found the library to be my best friend when it came to books. Course that was before the internet. Try some hand piecing until you get a sewing machine. Small projects like table runners, place mats or pot holders. You could re-purpose fabric from clothes, etc. for these. And as for the machine quilting, go for it. Nothing bad about it at all. It's refreshing to hear of a 13 year old who's so motivated to take up quilting. Check back with us if you have any other questions. Can't wait to see your work.

Edit: You might visit your local thrift stores to see if they have any sewing machines. One word of caution, make sure it works before purchasing. Ask to try the machine before buying. At least plug it in and see that it runs. Make sure it has the bobbin case. You could even take along some fabric and thread and sew a few lines. New doesn't always mean better. Many of the vintage machines will out sew the newer models. Some on this board have found real gems for very little money by shopping thrift stores.

Last edited by quiltsRfun; 01-06-2013 at 08:17 AM.