View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 10:58 AM
romanojg

Congratulations on your new purchase. You'll find it addicting and it can be costly but the results can be worth it once you figure it all out. I agree about not going to a craft store; you can use coupons at Hancock's and JoAnns. Some stabilizers you can buy by on the bolt from these stores and it is larger. I don't know about your machine but mine has some really large hoops to this is a must. So read the thread for chatting with others about embroidery. There is so much there and even though not all things work for all you'll find some great things. Normally I use Anthon-Robinson embroidery thread, its cheapest on line from Sears but I'd try different ones. I try to get at least two in different shades because most embroidery that I've done has had shading in it. So like two different shades of green to accent each other. I don't know where you live but if there are quilt shows in your area that is the best place to see different products and also buy them at great prices. I have a couple that I go to each yr. I'll include a link to a great source for stabilizer; you can download the book to keep at hand. I check out all the tutorials and projects on all of the sites I go to to see what and how they are doing things. You should also have places in your area that have classes even if they don't sell your machine. The LQS that I take classes at charge 40 a yr if you didn't buy your machine there, they don't care what machine you have and then the cost of the kit each month. Plus they offer special classes for things that take longer but lots want to learn. My favorite thing is the cutwork needles; makes life so much easier.
Emblibrary.com has projects and then under Kenny's archives you can find lots of infor on needles, stabilizers, different embroidery surfaces, including basa wood, etc. Its worth checking out.
Also for stabilizers its http://www.rnkdistributing.com/cid-3...-Products.html
If you let others know where your are located we could probably give you places to find classes that would help you. I've figured out alot on my own but having the LQS there when I needed plus the classes are invaluable to me.
You can go to oregonpatch.com they represent several design companies and I get an email each day with the sales. I love Hatchedinafrica.com for designs and they all stitch out so they are soft to even a baby. Annabove.com has good designs and some good specials on thread at different times. Do a google search for free embroidery designs for a certain topic like for children and you'll get lots of hits. Just check each site to see how they do different kinds of designs and projects. I'm sure there are even some good infor on Brother's website. I visit Viking's site alot and get a free design and project each month. Good luck and enjoy the process