View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 12:35 PM
SteveH
Banned

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
How long have you been interested in sewing machines?
I've been "interested" in them since getting my backside tanned for playing with my grandmothers treddle. I got my first machine when I was cleaning houses and found an old "dressmaker". That was probably 15 years ago. I learned to sew on it 10-12 years ago (it was in storage till then) and after sewing my first tent on it i started having issues with it. I took it to the local OSMG with the hope of getting a "trade in" on a new machine. (i was ignant)

He told me that the issue was that in this old machine they had experimented with ONE of the new nylon gears and that was what had failed. He said that even the Manufacturer stopped supplying nylon as replacements and that they were ONLY available in metal. He explained that i would have to pay LOTS to get a machine that could do what this could. I got it.

After that it was finding machines that could do specific stuff like a Viking 1030 zig zag with step down for "umph". Then a friend gave me his "old POS" Translate: 1910 Singer 28 portable in beat up bentwood case. That machine started the REAL issue because it needed me to fix it. then i fell in love with the mechanics of the older machines. (and they are cheap to acquire)