View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 02:33 PM
AllTheLovely

Default Newbie with Rag Quilting Worries

Hello Everyone! Thank goodness for boards like this... not too many people out there quilt anymore and I have questions.

I'm making a rag quilt as a gift for my sister. Cotton top, flannel batting, flannel backing. I am also fairly new to sewing and this is only my second ever quilt (my first was a 'quilt' quilt and took me forever and almost mentally and emotionally killed me - I'm a perfectionist with horrible math skills... so I took up quilting for fun... ha! )

Here's my question. As I'm making my rag quilt sandwiches and sewing the 'x' on each, I've got a lot of shifting of the 3 layers. I'm using a walking foot (which maybe isn't walking as well as it should). But nonetheless, I'm concerned that I should address this issue - trimming each sandwich by getting rid of the exposed layers before I start sewing my rows together. Make everything look neat and tidy, etc.

This is where I would attach pics, but I can't figure that out either... I'm suprised my family lets me leave the house on my own...

I've read that rag quilts are very forgiving, so I'm hoping this is just me worrying too much. I'd hate to spend all the time trimming, only to discover I've created other more serious issues that pop up later. Anyone else have this problem? Should I just leave as is and have a glass of wine to relax?

Thanks so much!
Sarah