View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 05:54 AM
Daisy Dew

Hey Crafty Person, good for you. Question: will you be using a sewing machine or by hand? If a machine your first assignment will be to sew two pieces of fabric together with a 1/4 inch seam. Master that first. I'm a quilt instructor who specializes in beginner quilters (piecers). A piecer is one who makes the blocks, squares, top etc. A quilter is one who puts the 3 componets together the 3 pieces are 1. the top 2. the batting 3. the backing putting these 3 together is call the sandwich. Most people who "quilt" do both. Now, if you'd like you may send me a PP and I will attempt to help you along the way the all the jargin. But, as many have said here there are many really good videos. Check out Craftsy.com they are having a BOM (block of the month) it's free. the instructor is very very good ( I took a class from her in the 90's) she leads you along step by step.

The only thing I would caution you about is using a rotary cutter. I would really recommend you find someone who uses a rotary cutter reguarly and have them teach you how to use the cutter and how to square up your fabric. When I teach this class I charge a person $0.25 each time they do not close their cutter after use - it sure gets the message across because you have to train yourself to close that cutter - after all it is a rolling razor blade.

Good luck I know you can do it it's a wonderful craft that will last you a life time.