Old 01-07-2013, 11:26 AM
dhanke

Default nine patch blocks and the start of clue 2

Thanks for the super mystery trip Judy!! I am having a blast, this is only my second mystery quilt. The first was in a magazine and I swore I'd never do a mystery again, it was so not my cup of tea. All the blocks were the same, boring. I love scrappy so this is just perfect for me!
I saw that another passenger is making her quilt as a grad gift for a GS. Me too! We have 3 grandsons graduating this year and I always give the hs grads a quilt. I set a goal at the end of December to make one grad quilt a month during Jan Feb and Mar, so this couldn't have come along at a more perfect time.
My nine patches were cut mostly from backing trimmings, I usually make pieced backings so the trimmings are pretty scrappy.
I decided to make the turquoise " flying geese" as folded triangles rather than stitched and flipped. I used this technique on a quilt I make last year as was happy with it. It relieves the guilt of not saving the trimmings for the scrap pile and also allows for placing the points a bit higher on the sashing so that the center of the "geese" doesn't disappear when the cornerstone is added to the sashing.
I decided on the pieced scrappy cornerstone because I didn't have enough of the turquoise mottle fabric. I barely had enough to make the points, in fact the last 6 don't quite measure 2 1/2", but because of the folded technique I can easily fudge it.
Sorry to ramble on so, I've really enjoying this ride and I am just amazed by everyone else's colors and pictures too. Can't wait for clue 3!
Attached Thumbnails my-nine-patch-blocks.jpg   my-start-clue-two.jpg   folded-star-points.jpg