View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 01:21 PM
AllTheLovely

'Conservative'... I like that term. Not that there is anything wrong with kittens and flowers, etc. I just wanted to make things that were different. I'm a stay-at-home Mom, and I like to make things as gifts, but I also make things for people to buy... puts some extra cash in my pocket. Different = makes people gasp in a good way at a baby shower.

I brought some of my fabric stash (ordered thru Etsy) into a local quilt shop so I could look for some coordinating colours. The woman who runs the store is wonderful and so helpful. I didn't feel that I was shopping in a store so much as being welcomed into an extension of her home. But when I took out the Las Vegas themed quilting fabric, she was a bit taken aback. She gave me some advice that I will never forget - "You need to remember your market".

Well, I recently sold that Las Vegas themed BABY blanket to be given as a gift to a couple who never thought they could have children (she has Lupus). They've lived a very free-spirited lifestyle. Lots of travel, etc. They're also well into their 40's. One of their favourite places to go is Vegas. Their baby was born 3 months premature. They put the blanket on her right in the NICU and told the gift giver that the blanket represents the feistiness their daughter will need to show over the next few months.

It's not just grandmas buying blankets and quilts. And my grandma loved Cyndi Lauper... just sayin'.

Anyhoo...

Anyone in the Niagara area should definitely visit Bee in NOTL. www.beefabrics.ca . They carry modern, fresh designs. Their prices are 'meh', but you need to watch for sales.

Fishskin fabrics - www.fishskinfabric.com is in BC and puts a $10 cap on Canadian shipping! I've ordered Kate Spain fabric from them (sigh!) and have called them on the phone with questions. Their customer service is wonderful.

Sew Sisters sends me email newsletters, but I thought their fat quarter club was prints of their choosing? GingerK, do you get fat quarters as part of the club and, if so, what kinds of prints do they include?

BrendaM, I agree... Lens Mill is totally hit and miss. For the most part, I like ours, and find the prices and quilting cotton selection to be better than FabricLand (better prices and selection for fleece, too!), but not always worth the drive.

Hamilton is nearby to me (about a 30 min drive). Ottawa Street has long been known as a fabric mecca in Southern Ontario. For quilters looking for the kinds of prints I would want, European Textiles is your best bet. Joel Dewberry, Amy Butler, Sandi Hendersen, etc. But not all prints or colours in a collection, the prices are no better than Etsy and there are parking fees and gas expenses to get there. So I just go to Etsy. There's a big FabricLand there, too (but no better than any other) and the other fabric stores are for home decor fabric or wedding gowns, costumes, etc.

I think I've drained my brain of all the local resources I'm aware of. Looking forward to reading more posts!