View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 07:25 PM
CorgiNole

Originally Posted by brenwalt View Post
Yes Yes, Yes, - Step 1 is getting this book by Harriet Hargrave & Carrrie Hargrave: Quilter's Academy Vol. 1 - Freshman Year - A Skill-Building Course in Quiltmaking. ISBN # 978 1 57120 594 0
Available at Amazon.com. I have her entire series and start with page 1, chapter 1 and just go though it page by page. It teaches you everything, and I do mean everything. Well written. Easy to follow. Excellet results Welcome to quilting. It will give you a lifetime of pleasure and satisfaction!!!
I absolutely second this book nomination! I've been slowly blogging my way through the book. I am now reading volume 2 and volume 3 is on my shelf.

As to your recent questions:

Hey everyone. Sorry if I have a lot of questions but here are a few more.
1. Do using precut squares of fabric make beginner quilting a lot easier?
2. Is ironing necessary for making quilts?
3. Are precut squares more or less expensive than buying yards of fabric?

1. While they seem easier, not all precuts are alike, and some are cut off square. Your basic toolbox should include a rotary cutter, mat and one or two rulers.
2. I think ironing is a very important part of creating accurate seams (as is the judicious use of starch). At the very least you will want to be able to press the creases and folds out of fabric as you are getting ready to use it.
3. Precuts are often more expensive than yardage, sometimes substantially so.

Cheers, K