View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 03:35 AM
AlienQuilter

Using a layer cake, stack 9 squares of fabric and using your long ruler and a rotary cutter, make a random, single slice through all layers. It's thick so you will need to be careful. Take the top piece of fabric on the right side, and put it on the bottom of the right side. Now sew the left side to the right side and press the seams. Keep them in the same sequence. Now stack them up and make another slice but going through a different direction. (for instance, the first time you did a vertical cut, now this time do a horizontal cut) Now take off the top two layers on one side and put on the bottom, and sew them together. You can keep repeating this until you are satisfied with the look of the crazy block.
The blocks will be very wonky when you are done, just pick the smallest one and square it up and square up the others to match it.
When quilting, you can use your decorative stitches on your machine.
This goes together surprisingly fast. When I took a class, a lady next to me had enough blocks done to do a twin size quilt for her granddaughter. It was only a 3 hour class!

You can sew the blocks together or separate them with sashing and cornerstones.

Here's the technique that I'm talking about but she uses fat quarters which would make it even faster!
http://bighornquilts.com/inspiration/strip/sns.html

Last edited by AlienQuilter; 01-08-2013 at 03:40 AM.