Old 01-08-2013, 03:42 AM
Mitch's mom

Not Quilting related, but yes I did buy a package of them. My neighbor lady is 88 and almost blind with Macular Degeneration but she is also very active and can run circles around me. I get tired just watching her. She takes care of my dachshunds during the day while I work (her choice) and liked to fix their toys when they would gut them. Her sight became so bad she could no longer sew the toys or do any mending of her own, which was upsetting to her because it was one more bit of independence she lost. I saw these needles advertised and thought they might work for her.

I told her I bought her some new needles and asked her to get some thread. We sat down and I showed her how to thread them. You would have thought I gave the woman the world she was so happy. She couldn't believe they made such a thing. I have never seen a person's face light up like hers did.
They may not be perfect for us, but for someone visually impaired they can make a huge difference. She sews the dogs toys in the afternoon while she watches TV (she can see far, not close) sure, she misses some holes, but who cares.