View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 02:43 PM
craftdiva

As a former Family Studies teacher for Grade 6,7,8 (Home Ec)--my first advice is the machine if that is where you are starting. If starting by hand--then ignore this.
It took time for the kids to get to know that machine--the ins and out of threading, winding a bobbin, turning the hand wheel towards you, how to change a needle, stopping when needed -not 3 stitches later.
Then came being able to sew a straight line--some it comes naturally to but for many it did not. I had them sew on lined paper and then hold it up to the light--when they could do 2 well-they then tried without lines to sew 1/4" and 5/8" lines straight. We tried letters, curves,etc on paper. Then when they were comfortable using the machines they moved to fabric. It moves differently so we made pillows to start --nice straight lines. Cutting is another issue altogether. We did not use rotary cutters in school--scissors only. Cutting a straight line there requires practice as well.
I think if you are starting on the machine, mastering the above will put you in good stead to start the free crafty course or something similiar. It took me awhile to get the terminology down and I was a maker of clothes for many years. Still it took time to get seams to match,etc. Rag quilts are good as they are forgiving and hide a multitude of errors I would just be concerned that if you are not comfortable with the machine, that you may get frustrated and not continue with the quilting.
But its a great past time! Come on and join us. Its addicting