View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 03:20 PM
seamstome

Duh things that I learned. Use Quilting thread on top and bottom, or at least the same thread weight. Use a quilting needle....who knew! Iron and starch....knew that. She uses a Supreme Slider, I think the thing is a PITA. Pre wind a few bobbins so you just have to drop one in. Tighten your top tension a half a number at a time, use different color threads for practice, if bottom shows on top, lossen, if top thread shows on bottom tighten, if bottom is loose tighten even if if shows a little on the top. Pull your first thread up to avoid nests.

Sit your machine to half speed no matter how hard you push down on the pedal. Then push the pedal to the max. Will keep speed consistent.

Space your hands about 4-5 inches apart with gloves on.

Do a bunch of spirals. Clockwise and counter clock wise.....after twenty or so, you will see that your tension changes as you go through the turns in certain areas.....this is YOU torquing. No amount of adjusting of your tension helps this. This "changing" of your tension happens as you FMQ because the fabric is not going in one direction. Check tension every 15 minutes or so.

Make a bunch of "worms" about three inches long. You want 8 stitches to an inch-ish. Once you can produce 8-10 stitches to an inch, then you have the feel of speed.

If you start to lose control, stop the machine, do not move your hands.

Now you know what I learned in class

Last edited by seamstome; 01-08-2013 at 03:35 PM.