View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 07:14 PM
quiltapillow

Hi, When I was your age my mom had a sewing machine. I went to the Winns Store(variety store that sold everything) and used my allowance to buy a pattern(10cents) and a yard of fabric(50cents) went home and read the pattern and the sewing machine book(Singer) and just followed the directions and did it. My mom was supprised when she came home from work and saw what I had done. If you live near a Senior Center or even your Church Senior Classes you could go and ask the older ladies(grandmas) if any one could help you. I had a mentor(97yrs) when I was about 36 yrs. and had my grandmothers sewing machine she taught me alot about piecing and fabric. But mostly--I read the pattern and follow the instructions and just do it. I use the brain God gave me. My first real quilt was when I was about 20yrs and I just took fabric and cut into squares and sewed them all together for a top-took my old blanket and used it for the middle and a sheet for the back(not much money back then),sewed it all around and turned it rightside out and had my quilt for living in the hill country it was cold. It worked. Have fun with it; try what you want to! Get into a bind just get back on this board and we will all help you. Welcome to the World of Quilting.