View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 07:28 PM
reneaunoel

If you have good access to the internet, the site www.Craftsy.com has online courses, which you can watch over and over. There are quite a few that are free. You may need your Mom or other adult to get setup (it's been a long while since I was 13, so....) but once you are logged in, there are sewing and quilting classes. there is a BOM (block of the month) class, I think you can still access the 2012 series and for sure can sign up for the 2013. Without a sewing machine, piecing a quilt might take longer, but there is no shame in that! You will learn how to assemble and quite a bit of the language that goes with quilting. And if you make a square or two, that would make a really nice bag (Craftsy has at least 2 classes for free on bag making!)

I started sewing when I was 8 years old, my Grandmother was too terrified of me injuring myself to teach me, so she found a local sewing class and "fibbed" about my age! My Great-Grandmother was a wonderful resource, but believed in learning by observing, so that was a little hard as a young beginner. Long and short, KEEP UP what you are trying to accomplish. You will remember this your entire life, and you are learning more skills than "just" sewing! Congratulations and WELCOME to the Quilting Club!