View Single Post
Old 10-26-2009, 09:21 AM
dmackey

I have a son in the Air Force, and I make quilts for soldiers along with some other AF moms. We have our own group on Google to coordinate and share ideas. Our main focus is charity quilts for a yearly raffle at the Air Force Academy.

Sometimes I search www.anysoldier.com looking for a recipient for my quilts, if I want to send to anyone other than my own. That way, the quilt goes to a specific soldier. I usually save my quilts for when my son is deployed (yearly), and he lets me know who doesn't get much mail, and that is who gets my quilts!

I used to send quilts to CSAF, which is a hospital in Iraq at Ballad AFB, but I discovered the soldiers cannot keep the quilts when they are air lifted out to Germany. Something to do with transferring bacteria. From Germany to the USA, I believe they can keep their quilts.

My local quilt shop has two long arms by Handi Quilter. The owner discounts the rented time for me if I am doing a charity or soldier quilt. So, ask around your area to see if someone will quilt for a discount when the quilt is going to a soldier.

Two questions:

1. What is a Daddy pillow?

2. Jeannie, why did you want to know if anyone quilts for soldiers. Do you need help with something?

Diane