Old 01-09-2013, 12:03 PM
jcrow

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
Default I want to make a Barn Quilt for my LQS friend

I am very good friends with my LQS owner. I bought a Barn Quilt, 2'x2', and placed it over my double car garage. I love it and have had many compliments.

I want to commission the same man to make one for my friend who owns the LQS. I don't want her to know, as I want it to be a surprise and if she found out, she would make me take money for it.

I asked her what her favorite block was and she said 'Shoofly'. Well, a Shoofly is usually 2 colors and that would be boring. I asked her what other block she liked and she said a 'Log Cabin'. That, I could work with.

Her shop is in a house with cement stairs and a small covered porch. I thought a 1'x1' would be the right size. She loves deep rich fall colors, so I don't have to worry about the colors. Her house is brown, so that would work. I could make the center piece a maroon color instead of red - it would be close enough.

So, my question to you all is this: Am I overstepping my boundaries? Is this too personal and I should tell her what I'm doing and tell her I am paying for it and she only gets to choose the design and colors? Or should I just go ahead and do the Log Cabin in deep rich fall colors? I am leaning on telling her because if she doesn't like it, she will be afraid it will hurt my feelings and feel she has to hang it up even though she doesn't think it represents her store.

I just want to do this for her so badly! Times are tough for her as they are for other LQS owners and I want to show her my support! But I have a feeling she won't let me pay for it and then it won't be a gift from me to her.

Okay, please help me out here. Thank you.