View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 02:38 PM
Suziuki

Originally Posted by Larue Bonnoni View Post
I was at a craft show that was selling different sizes of these warming pads and I asked what he filled them with and it was crushed wheat I bought some at a bulk food store and made some warming pads . The wheat seemed to hold the heat longer (maybe my imagination)
It is not your imagination, I make wheat bags for a physio which they on sell to their clients, one of the shapes I make is a smaller version of the heat pack pictured in this post. I use whole clean wheat purchased from a fodder store. Wheat contains a cellular structure that ideally provides an insulative quality that absorbs either heat or cold temperatures evenly. Always use a cotton fabric cover (pin whale cord better knows as corduroy works well), and if the wheat pack is to be used from the freezer (I make small palm sized packs from left over fabric that are great to freeze and use for bumps and scolds) it needs to be put in a plastic bag. If a wheat pack gets wet throw it out. Store any left over wheat in a sealed container to prevent weavels.