View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 04:04 AM
mpspeedy2

Default Trying to downsize

Being a new year etc. I have the downsizing and organizing bug. When I first got my serger I went crazy and purchased thread for it in lots of different shades etc. It wasn't long before I figured out that changing four threads for every little project was a big pain. I probably own more than 50 spools of serger thread in different colors etc. I don't longarm and only basically machine quilt Linus quilts. What can I use all of that serger thread for? Is it alright for machine quilting or as bobbin thread for embroidery?
I use my serger to do the basic sewing on my Linus quilts as most of them are just lengths of colorful child friendly prints backed with flannel and layered with batting. I make them envelope style and "birth" them. I sew the "envelope" with the serger, it cuts down on bulk and makes the seam sturdy. Since those seams are hidden I just use white or cream colored thread for them.
Once they are turned I machine quilt them very simply with a decorative stitch and often varigated thread.