View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 04:34 AM
Jusmom01

Wildyard -

I hear you on the "pacing". I, too, am disabled and must pace myself. I try not to promise anything to anyone (although I did finish a few Christmas gifts...just made the deadline by a cat's whisker). I currently have 3 UFOs. One is 20+ years old! I started a double irish only to discover, after the quilt was 3/4 pieced, that the tension (or something) on my old machine was not working correctly and my seams are coming undone! I went through and pinned everywhere it was loose, but trying to stitch those areas is really difficult as they are tiny and not easy to get under the presser foot cleanly. So I promptly put it away until i could come up with a solution (short of ripping the ENTIRE thing!). Any good ideas on how to "fix" my UFO? I am open to any and all suggestions! My second and third quilts were ideas I had that got started and put on a back burner to work on Christmas pressies. I now also have material for a fourth quilt (although it isn't a UFO because I haven't started it yet). I also promised two pillows to relatives that I have not completed, (or even started for that matter). I have been having a "rough patch" since the new year and haven't been on the sewing machine at all! Boy, do I miss it! Hope my body cooperates soon...I'm going into withdrawal!

Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
An excellent point bigbrownowl!!! We know ourselves and it's important not to set our goals as to be self-defeating or discouraging.
Another example in myself: I don't set any deadlines at all, as being handicapped, I have to listen to the demands of my body and would find a deadline stressful. I apply that to all my quilting, not just UFOs. I will happily make a quilt for someone's birthday, as long as they understand there is no gurantee WHICH birthday they might get it. LOL. Or which month it might arrive all finished. If I promised something by a certain date, I know I would do all I could to meet that goal and hurt myself in the doing.
So make your goals gentle on yourself!!! Be kind, and allow lots of room for new beginnings and fun projects also.