Thread: Stunning Quilts
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 05:40 AM
Scraplady

Wow! These are some spectacular quilts. Not sure mine belong in this category, but I will share anyway. (My absolute favorite is one I no longer own and cannot seem to find a photo, though I'm sure we took some. Sadly, this is true of most of the quilts I have made.)

Here is my first ever art quilt, made for the Easter celebration at our church last year. It is not pieced, it's a fabric mosaic which contains over 10,000 pieces of fabric, all less than 1" square, and many less than 1/2", a backing and a fill layer. I attached the pieces one at a time to a white flannel sheet using a glue stick, spray based the whole mess to the backing, then stitched it in place with a random stipple over the entire surface to give it texture. I ironed a layer of heavy craft stabilizer to the back to stiffen it. The outer edge is bound by hand with a buttonhole stitch. It measures 53" by 89". The deadline was tight, I spent five straight weeks standing in front of the design wall when I was not at work, and I had a full time job then. Needless to say I didn't get much sleep that month! I took almost a week quilting it and probably spent a week sleeping after I submitted it. This quilt is going to hang in my new sewing room.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]387175[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]387176[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails extravagant.jpg   extravagantcloseup.jpg