Old 01-10-2013, 06:43 AM
SheriR

Ok ladies. I feel like a hobo huddling in the storage car. And I've been with you from the start but had to finish another project. SOOOooo here I am ready to join in. I've started cutting my first squares and I'm over half done for the 12- 9Patch. If I have enough variety I may go to 16 and make it 4x4. Let me tell you why and get your opinion.

Two years ago this summer my 90 yr old DMIL gave me her stash of 30 some odd years. My hubby had to rent a Uhaul to transport it from Idaho to Texas. The idea was for me to make each of her grandchildren (23) and children (6) a quilt from her. It's washed and folded nicely in some cupboards which I love to open wide, and stand back, and just admire, it smells so so good. LoL I have not been able to cut it. Silly huh.

With all my love I say...grandma's not getting any younger. I thought I'd use this Judy Mystery to dive into Grandma's stash and begin. It was super hard to cut one 4.5" square off each of her pieces. So I am cutting a lot of 4.5" strips to be used in the next quilt? I'm just over half way to 108. Grandmas stash has many solids so I think I'll make each star a different color.

My question, dear QB friends, how big is big enough? They can't be huge or I'll run out of stash. But it should, IMO, be larger than baby. This is a difficult project for me. More difficult than I imagined when I approached DMIL with the idea(which she loved). Because, what would happen to her stash anyway.....after she's gone?

I need help....