View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 10:56 AM
oksewglad
Power Poster

QMomma--So you want to make the Jacob's ladder with all those scraps--well maybe you will get more than one.
As you sort pull out the larger pieces you want to go in the cupboard. Take 3 large container to sort your scraps by light and dark; and of course there's the mediums which can go into either pile depending on what they are paired with. Within these containers have a couple of smaller bins to toss in the smaller pieces. While you are sorting the larger of the small cuts fold them a bit--makes for a neater more compact pile.
Once you have all of these sorted you can start cutting your 2" and 4" squares. Begin with the smaller bins; you will get more variety in your quilt then. Using the calculations in the JL thread cut until you have the number squares you require and it never hurts to cut a few more. As you empty those smaller bins they can then be used for your cut squares. I like to keep my squares in groups of ten for easy counting. A group of ten can easily be thrown into a zip lock bag. Then when you get say 5 or 10 bags (your choice) you can regroup into a bag of 50 or 100. Keeps them all together and no more additional counting.

Good luck in your scrappy adventure. Wish I had time to sew right now. Guess I will have to just sit back and observe for a couple of weeks until I get the task at hand done!!!