Thread: Stunning Quilts
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 11:50 AM
fireworkslover

Default Stunning Quilt

My quilt I made for a fireworks quilt challenge titled, " Ooooh, An Eight Break Snail Shell", is my best work so far. The pattern is by Pat Wolfe called "Circle of Fire". She created one circle and I made them different sizes and colors. Six are paper pieced and range in size from 8.5" to 19" in diameter pieced. The two smallest are 7.5" & 6" diameter and they are fused. The quilting lines extend out further on all circles to expand each break to a larger area covered by stitching. Each star is made from 8 diamonds. Two pie shaped triangles are sewn to the diamond to form 1/8 of the circle. The dark gray/black background fabric I chose, also had a subtle snail (spiral) print on it in various dark values of gray. I fmq on my domestic machine. I originally was going to make it in sections and then sew it together, but decided partway through to sew the whole top together and then fmq it. I used metallic, polyester and silk threads for quilting. Finished size is 63" X 74". It took me about 6 months to make. I took First Place in the Quilt Challenge and People's Choice for the Art Show at the Pyrotechnic Guild International Convention in 2010.

My picture failed to load. I'll hopefully get one to work soon.