Old 01-10-2013, 12:08 PM
cpfrog

Originally Posted by pinkyrue01 View Post
Yes, I'm currently working on a charm square quilt. It's supposed to be simple. I'm sewing all of my squares in rows with a 1/4" seam allowance. I even started measuring each square after I sew one on to make a row and see that it is exactly 4.75 inches. My problem is when I sew my rows together. It keeps getting off. Also I am pressing to the dark side, so my seams will nest. The first few are fine, but by the end of the row they are not nesting.
I wonder if the pressing is some of the problem.
Pressing to the dark is NOT always the best way. Press for ease of construction!

If you're making a charm quilt, then the seams probably should go in one direction for one row and the opposite direction for the next row. THEN the seams "should" nest together (making them as close and as flat as possible). Pinning is essential.

Do you have a walking foot? that attachment helps by NOT pulling on the fabric. When you get to the end of a row, the top AND bottom should still be together (not one longer or shorter than the other layer.)

Lots of other good answers/solutions on this board...

Practice, practice, practice is always a great tip. The other is: keep that seam ripper handy! HAhahaha Good luck.