Old 01-11-2013, 06:45 AM
maviskw

I use glue now all the time. The best use I found for it is when I sew the binding on the front, turn it to the back and then stitch in the ditch from the front. I used to pin a lot to do that, and really didn't like all those pin pricks! LOL Now I press carefully after the binding is on the front to open that seam as wide as I can. You want to be able to see the "ditch" while sewing. Then turn to the back and glue the binding so that it just covers the line of sewing and iron dry. A very thin line or small dots is fine. Glue the corners, too. Then turn to the front and stitch in the ditch. The last quilt I did like that, I missed about an inch in one spot. I guess I didn't get the binding quite far enough over the sewing line.

When I baste my quilts (on my bed), I iron as soon as I have a large area glued. I don't move it until the whole top of the bed area has been glued and ironed (just a touch of the iron on each spot is enough). Then move it around until another area is available. After that side is all glued and ironed, I turn it over and work on the other side. Works slick.