View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 07:43 AM
ShirlinAZ

Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
I'm sure that you'll get lots of suggestions on this topic. Try ones that you think might work for you and see how it works. I have my fabrics in big drawers by background colors. All fabrics are ruler folded with a 4x12 inch ruler, then is put in the drawer on the edge so that I can see what I have in the drawer without going through piles of fabrics. I don't have a lot of FQ's since I tend to buy yardage. I have 2 drawers full of fabrics and the fabrics to go with the focus fabric and the pattern I'm going to make with it, this way I don't mistakenly cut up fabrics that I had intentions of using for a different quilt. Batting storage can be a problem, but what I'm going to do(when I have the money to buy a full roll) is to put 2 U shaped hangers and a HD rod of some kind on the wall directly above my cutting table, then when I need batting I just "roll" off what I need.
This is pretty much what I did for several years, and it worked great. I used a 6 x 12 ruler to roll my fabric, as that worked well in my drawers. For batting, I put 2 eye bolts in beams in the ceiling and used nylon cord to hang a "mini" bolt. I bought batting by the yard and had them roll it onto an empty bolt so I had a roller to run the cord through. I left enough cord on one end that I could lower the bolt to refill it, or to set it on the cutting table.

We moved into a new-to-us house and I don't have room for the dresser in my sewing room, so all the fabric (folded the same way) is on shelves in the closet. I now have a full bolt of batting hanging on my wall. I bought 2 closet shelf/rod brackets at the hardware store, along with a wooden closet rod. They are mounted just above my cutting table so I can unroll as much of little batting as I need.
Attached Thumbnails 001-800x533-.jpg  

Last edited by ShirlinAZ; 01-11-2013 at 07:47 AM.