View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 10:31 AM
farmquilter

Dry the banana slices and use them to make banana bread. Mix equal amounts of applesauce and yogurt, drop by spoon full on sheets/plastic wrap to make 'candy blobs' for kids.
I just made sweet potato chips to replace regular chips. Slice very thin, in bowl add a small amount of olive oil, toss to coat, lay on parchment paper lined cookie sheets, sprinkle with coarse salt/spices. Bake in oven until they start to turn light brown. Then place all in food dryer and dry until very dry. These things are great and a lot did not even make it to the cooling rack.
The potatoes muse be baked/cooked before drying for them to be edible with dips/ketchup. I made some raw chips that ended up as doggie treats because I could not eat them.
Shred cabbage and dry, add to soups
make matchsticks/shreds of zucchini, measure out 2 cups shreds per layer, dry, use to make zuke bread or add to soups.
I make Greek yogurt for my 2 furries, 1 gallon makes about 18, 1/2 pint jars, they seal when cool and are stored in the spare fridge.
I recently made hamburger 'rocks', cook burger, drain off fat--rinse-rinse-rinse until all fat is gone dry until gravel. Then I vacuum sealed the rocks in 1/2 pint jars for storage. Use in stews, chili and goulash.
Lots more ideas if you do a search online. Also check into backpacking recipes to create a whole meal in zipper bags for traveling/camping.