View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 02:14 PM
jillaine

Default Julie Beaulieu Quilts

Our local quilt store (G Street Fabrics) holds monthly gatherings that usually include a speaker with a discussion of their work. This month it was Julie Beaulieu. I really liked her quilts. While I've never been a fan of Bargello, she showed a variation of doing it that really turned me on. Here are some of the quilts she showed us:

What I love about this one is the subtle change from color to color in the Bargello, and then she added wonderful applique on top.
Those are lily pads and sea grasses.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]387496[/ATTACH]

This is a more traditional bargello, but done with a limited pallet of black, white and greys with a punch of reds:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]387497[/ATTACH]

This is a variation on the lilly pad one, above, but with a different color range. Not sure if you can tell, but she appliqued fussy-cut flowers throughout the top and bottom sections.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]387498[/ATTACH]

This is a type of french braid. I liked her use of Paula Nadelstein(?)'s fabrics in the centers.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]387499[/ATTACH]

She said she had a lot of fun with this one; the 9" blocks consist of the same repeat of piecing, then you turn the blocks whichever way you want before sewing them together in lines.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]387500[/ATTACH]

This isn't a bargello, but has a similar feel to it. the pieces are small diamond shapes (like in a lone-star design), but placed in alternating rows. I'm not able to explain it well. She then fussy-pieced contrasting colors in the "water" to make it look the way the ocean/bay does when light hits it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]387501[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails juliebeaulieu7.jpg   juliebeaulieu6.jpg   juliebeaulieu5.jpg   juliebeaulieu4.jpg   juliebeaulieu3.jpg  

juliebeaulieu2.jpg