View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 03:02 PM
flowerjoy

Smile Finding a quilting "style"

I have been quilting for 2 years (sewing for much longer). I am waiting to find my own style... trying to evolve into my own style. But, it doesnt seem to be coming. I know 2 years is very short in the quilting community; but, I am still struggling with the very basics. Such as: I cant decide if I should concentrate on stab stitching where I get very small stitches (14 to the inch) but not always even and it is slow but no pain. On the other hand, the rocking stitches are smooth and even but I can only manage 5-7 stitches to the inch, get pain in my wrist and sore fingers (the ones underneath the frame).

I have also been quilting others traditional patterns. Each time I make a quilt it is different requiring new skills.

Opinions would be appreciated: do I concentrate on one stitching method (I piece by machine and quilt by hand on my frame)?; do I concentrate on one traditional style until I get "good"?

I love, love quilting and would like to get good and do away with what I now see as sloppy work. Another "but" - I am 64 and probably do not have decades left to get better.

Opinions please from other quilters.