View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 06:17 PM
alisonquilts

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
After the first time I pushed the needle end in my finger. I certainly didn't want a callous or the pain so I put on a thimble and left it on the whole time I was sewing. I kept trying to use the other finger that didn't have the thimble but when the needle started to hurt I switched to the thimble finger.
This is exactly what happened to me. I tried a cheap plastic thimble first (needle went through it and into my finger after about a month - OUCH!). I also found that it took a long time to find a thimble that fit, and that the outside lip along the base of the thimble and the ridges on the side rubbed the side of my index finger raw, so now the outside of my thimble has several layers of masking tape wrapped around it! (I did try a leather thimble...but the needle went through it fairly quickly...OUCH!)

I also find that the needle pricking down onto my "under" finger ends up causing a real hole in that finger (OUCH) so I often have several layers of masking tape over the exact spot on my under finger where the needle hits - allows me still to feel the needle but with less blood loss.

One must suffer for one's art....but thank goodness for masking tape!

Alison

Last edited by alisonquilts; 01-12-2013 at 06:20 PM.