Old 10-26-2009, 09:05 PM
Tippy

OK, color me the odd man out here.. as I don't think a rotary cutter and mat are necessary. It depends on what "kind" of quilting you're going to do..
I started with a good ruler, some sharp pencils and a good pair of scissors.
I am a hand stitcher primarily. You can easily make a first quilt by just cutting a bunch of squares, all the same size, and stitch them together by hand or machine. work on getting seams a uniform 1/4" and making nice corners.
before you know it you'll have a top to be tied, tacked or hand or machine quilted. Next thing you know you can try some simple HST or Half Square Triangles.. also simple and they can be made into MANY MANY different patterns.
I would suggest looking at the "basic" quilting books at a local Hobby Lobby, Quilt Shop or Library.. look for something VERY basic if you haven't done a lot of sewing before, right down to defining grain of fabric, selvages, etc. once you find something that makes sense and is easy for you to understand get it and read it through.. then go for it.. YOU CAN DO THIS!!! If you need help, just yell!