View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 05:15 AM
CarolynMT

I may not be able to help 100%, I have been quilting for a little over a year, but sewing for ages (or is it eons at my age ) I machine quilt and piece.

For me, I have noticed that I dont really have a style. I love trying different techniques and building skills. For me the process of learning new things, applying old skills in new ways, etc. That is the fun in quilting for me. The ability to take pretty fabric and turn it into something stunning, that is the reward.

With that being said, I would say do what feels good. You are more likely to stick with something if it feels good with you. Figure out what motivates you with quilting. Do you like a particular finished look and you want to mimic that look in your own work? if so, then your best solution is perfecting a technique. Do you like learning new things and the creative process of making something completely new? then your best solution would be to keep trying different things.

I would recommend asking yourself, what do you want OUT of quilting. Then you can decide which method is best for you to get to that point. Personally, I am not inclined to perfect any particular method, I like trying all different ones. In the future I may change once I have tried everything at least once. So another piece of advice, regardless what you decide for yourself today, remember you can change it tomorrow. But above all ENJOY what you do!