Old 01-13-2013, 09:33 AM
jlm5419

Dollar store coffee filters for round crazy-quilt blocks or the cathedral window lookalikes, flexible chopping mats (dollar store). These come 2 in a pack, are transparent, and can be used to make templates or save your cutting mat. For 50 cents each, they are inexpensive enough to toss when they are no longer useful.

A magnetic knife or tool rack is great for holding things such as scissors, screwdrivers, tweezers, etc. and keeps them off the surface of your sewing table. I use a drafter's circle template for circles up to 2 1/2 inches in diameter. I use a cut piece of wooden dowel for pressing open seams on non-flat items. Bamboo skewers for stilettos. A "rubber" mallet from HF for pounding those impossible thick seams into submission.

My sewing table is an 8-foot "conference" table from an office store. It holds 2 sewing machines and a serger, plus my cutting mat and computer flat screen.

I took some aquarium tubing, cut into appropriate widths, them split to open them up. Place this over the wound bobbins to keep them from unwinding.