Old 01-13-2013, 10:15 AM
Cre8tvlwyr

Yes, SueLevin, Cindy is totally right - don't worry about it if you end up using a few different whites in the end. In fact, in many quilts, adjusting the background here and there adds a 'sparkle.'

You do however have enough white for more than one Jane!! Just figure, without seams if you were to cut 5" squares, you can get 8x7 or 56 out of one yard. You don't only use background for the blocks, but you do have seams and the triangles will use more background [slightly] than the blocks 225/56 ~ 4yd [224]. multiply this by 2 for a buffer and add a couple of yards for the sashings and you see you have a generous amount

I decided to use totally different backgrounds, long story, started out with my 'light' contrast being far too drab because a friend of mine told me that was 'civil war' ...not totally accurate. When you look at quilts made during the war they were actually extremely bright as these were the types of fabrics that were used in the early to mid-1800s and the mills pretty much screeched to a halt during the war itself. The drab colors showed up as production picked up again.

No one needs my permission to post the more pictures the merrier!!!! and we love new people climbing onboard! We started out with around 120 members in this Dear Jane group, and we are down quite a bit. I was just thinking about this a week or so ago. Remember when I had asked about the interest in exchanging signature blocks early on? That is why I decided to wait a bit... let the group settle. I will ask about the interest in sig block soon though, so that we can get started now that we are well over the halfway mark

I found three photocard-to computer reader cables in Steph's room! so will post a few I took to go with above instructions.
Gus