View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 07:41 PM
jillaine

Originally Posted by Rubesgirl View Post
They are lovely quilts, thanks for sharing them. On another note, you are soooo (sew) lucky to have G Street as your quilting and fabric shop! My favorite fabric shop in the whole world! Started shopping there in 196_, when it was just a big room on the second floor of a building downtown, with tables so stuffed with gorgeous fabrics it took your breath away! Bought fabric to make my first ball gown for a military ball at Ft. Meyer ... midnight blue velvet, trimmed in gold braid and ribbon. Ahhhh, the "good old days." I hope you have a blast shopping there. Whenever I come up to NoVa, I try to get there for a few hours. The notions and buttons rooms are unbelieveable!
I believe there are two locations-- one in Virginia (which I think you're talking about), and the one I go to in Rockville. I've never been to the Virginia location, but I have to tell you that G Street has seen better days. It's really sad. They moved from their long-time location right on Rockville Pike to off Randolph Road, underneath a Golds Gym which can be heard through the ceiling.

The quilting fabric department used to be the greatest. Wonderfully stocked. Now, most of the shelves are only half-filled. There used to be tables and tables of sale cotton. Now none. The upholstery department is still really great. As is the notions department. I can't help but think that online sales have taken their toll on the quilting department. But at $12/yard, even their 25% sales aren't as good as prices found online.

:-(