View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 09:09 PM
judys

Sounds a lot like my non-recipe chili. I use a can of baked beans as my kids don't care for kidney or chili beans. I also add a little brown sugar to offset the acid taste of the tomatoes. Always get raves.
Originally Posted by Teacup View Post
I don't use any one recipe, just add what I have. But my favorite base for chili is a large can of tomato juice, which starts me off with a lost of liquid. I brown either ground turkey or hamburger with onion, sometimes add green pepper, and drain off grease. Add your favorite chili seasonings. Add a large can of tomato juice and whatever else I have around: canned crushed tomatoes, frozen tomatoes we put up last summer from our garden, tomato paste, a can of Rotel if I want is spicy, whatever. Simmer for at least 30-45 minutes, then add 1 or 2 cans of chili beans or kidney beans and cook a bit longer. Add more water or tomato sauce if it's too thick. Keeping the lid on can keep the steam in resulting in thinner chili. Also, if I cook chili in the crock pot it is usually thinner, as the lid collects the steam rather than it evaporating.