Old 01-14-2013, 02:32 AM
Izy

Originally Posted by Izy View Post
Here is a quick run down:

I can't help with fabric quantities as I just cut two piles of 2" squares and 4" squares from scraps in a mix of darks and lights (keep darks and lights separate!) - anything goes as long as you have a strong contrast when stitching at all stages of making each block.

Each block takes:

3 - 4 patches and 6 HST's

So to work out quantities - multiply:-

6 - 2" lights AND 6 - 2" darks squares (four patches)
3 -4" lights AND 3 - 4" darks squares (Half Squared Triangles)

per block, multiplied by however many blocks you need to make to get the size quilt you require.

I made a pile of 4 patches and a pile of HST's, chain piecing as much as possible. When I was bored with doing that, I then selected from each pile, laying out by my sewing machine in the block formation making sure I had a good mix of fabrics.

Lay them in a 9 patch formation.

Lay out 3 - 4 Patches running diagonally from bottom left to top right with light squares running through the centre.

Next, lay 2 HST's with dark sides touching either side of the 4 patches.

Then finally, the two corner HST's with dark corners outwards. You can see in the picture below if you look closely.

Stitch together to make each block.

Here's a link to a tutorial I made which is great for lining up each intersection, it really works!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-28328-1.htm

Just carry on making a pile of 4 patches and a pile of HST's then make them into blocks, then make a few more 4 patches and HST's, (I found it less monotonous that way) until you have enough made!

I made 56 9.5" blocks.

My quilt was based around 4 blocks turned so the 4 Patches created an 'X' (see picture below of a few blocks layout on the floor before sewing together).

The first border was 3" wide

Then I added the diamond border, created by sewing 4 HST's into a diamond formation block, then stitched these blocks together to create the border.

The 3rd Border was 3" wide.

I hope everyone understands this! :lol:
Here is a copy of the instructions Fuzzykittenbutt! Sorry for confusing you with the Pg. 23 ...it was before the QB changed to the new format and depends on your personal viewing settings how many messages are on each page!

Thank you for your compliment, I have this quilt on my bed all the time, it has special memories for me!