Thread: Recliner Quilt
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 10:49 AM
BuzzinBumble

For all of you who have asked:

I didn't have a pattern, so unfortuantely do not know the name of this log cabin variation. Do any of you know what it is called?

When I saw this particular uneven log cabin block, it made me curious about what it would look like in different arrangements. So I tried out a few on my computer before we chose the one we liked best. That's how I learned it made a wavy edged pattern.

I paper pieced the blocks, which made it very easier for me to keep things straight. I did post a better explanation with diagrams. I'm going to put them here again at the end of the thread so people don't miss them. I hope that will help anyone who wanted to know how the quilt was made.

Here are the diagrams I used for printing out the paper pieced foundations for block 1 and block 2. I printed them at 8" square with 1/4 margins, which were the seam allowances for joining the blocks.
Oh dear - The pictures of the paper foundations don't look clear here on the QB. Lots of the lines aren't showing, etc. However - if you click on them you will get the full sized version for printing and it is nice and clear.

The next picture shows the blocks (they are mirror images of each other) and

The next picture shows the layout I used, showing the placement of blocks 1 and 2. You rotate the blocks in the layout to achieve the diamond pattern.

The last picture is of Rita's quilt again so you can compare it to the layout diagram.
Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails log-cabin-block-1-8-inch-pp-blank-make-20.png   log-cabin-block-2-8-inch-pp-blank-make-28.png   log-cabin-blocks-8-inches-50-percent.png   log-cabin-block-layout.png   ritas-finished-quilt-1-30-percent.jpg  

Last edited by BuzzinBumble; 01-14-2013 at 11:01 AM.