Thread: Older fabric
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 02:37 PM
sweetana3

When a manufacturer wants to dump a lot of fabric due to lagging sales or issues, they sell it to wholesalers. The wholesalers normally sell to other business owners some LQS and some who manufacture other products. I visited one in Tennessee and was floored by the low prices and the quality. South Sea Imports, Judy Rothermal, Andover, Thimbleberries, etc. It was all over 6 months old but a warehouse full that constantly changed and was selling by the 5 yard piece, bolt and skid load.

Before the prices went up it was around $1.85 or lower per yard.

Choice Fabrics in Tennessee.

For retail, it helps to get to know all your LQS's in driving distance and get on all the email lists. We have one that sells the whole store once per year at 50% off, others at 30 and 40%. You will find out what stores go out of business and what email only sales there are. Recently we found one of my stores which is a distance away had clearance fabric for $2 per yard but only those on the email list found out. She did not update the website. It was a very good sale for backing material and I even found one that will make coordinating pillowcases for a quilt in process.