View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 06:46 PM
Peckish

I do not like kidney beans, and find the flavor of chili powder is just okay. However, at a recent non-guild meeting, the hostess served a version of chili that was so delicious, we all asked for the recipe. She has given permission to share it.

White Bean Chicken Chili

onion large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast, diced
1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, diced
2 boxes chicken stock
4 cans white beans
1 Tbsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. dried oregano
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
1 can diced peppers (I use mild, but you can use whatever heat you like!)
1 bunch curly leaf kale, stems removed, chopped

Heat oil in crockpot liner or skillet. Add onion and garlic and cook over medium heat until onion is softened and somewhat translucent. Add chicken and cook until chicken is cooked on all sides, stirring occasionally.

Add cumin, oregano, cilantro, and peppers and stir to combine. Add half of one of the boxes of chicken stock and scrap all of the good stuff from the bottom of the skillet or crockpot liner. If using a skillet, pour everything into the crocpot. If using the liner, put it in the crockpot.

Rinse three cans of the beans in a colander with cold water (the beans are too salty for my taste otherwise). Add the beans to the crockpot with the rest of the first box of stock. Rinse the fourth can of beans, then put them in a bowl. Mash them with some of the chicken stock from the second box. You will probably have to add more chicken stock as you mash as they tend to get pretty stiff.

Stir the mashed beans and the rest of the chicken stock into crock pot. Cook on low overnight (about 8 hours).

Chop the kale and add to the crockpot (I chop it up and put it in a ziploc while the chili is cooking). After 8 hours, add the kale and let the chili cook on low for a couple more hours (or on high for about an hour).

Serve with shredded pepper jack cheese, salsa and/or sour cream or whatever else sounds good!